Leisure and Lifestyle in Aged Care
Aged Care Lifestyle Program
Kalyna Care believes the Leisure and Lifestyle program is one of its strengths, as the organization runs a comprehensive 7 day a week program for the enjoyment of residents and/or their representatives.Range of leisure and lifestyle options available include:
- Scheduled group and individual activities; e.g bus trips, exercises, Tai Chi, craft, Wii fit, 1:1 pampering
- Individual and small group activities to target physical, intellectual, emotional and social needs; e.g. massage aromatherapy, spas, painting, cooking, activity stations
- Cultural, religious and traditional events are celebrated within the facility which has a dedicated chapel and hall
- Special events are attended within the community as well as various community groups visit onsite e.g school groups, Ukrainian community groups, culturally specific volunteers and clergy etc
A range of people also visit the facility providing light entertainment such as music, dancing, magicians and pet therapy.
Leisure & Lifestyle Calendar 2020
Konvalyia/ Sosna & Topolya Leisure & Lifestyle Calendar
Programs & Activities Using Montessori Methods
Promoting personalised programs, including activities, using Montessori methods, our Leisure & Lifestyle Program encompasses the social, physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual aspects of our residents’ lives.
Planned activities cater to individual needs based on personal interests, lifestyle and background and are designed with residents’ abilities in mind.
Our aged care residents are encouraged to participate in activities which may take them out of their comfort zone. We love to hear our residents say that they are "So happy to learn something new".
Residents have the opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development of the Leisure & Lifestyle Program through suggestions at monthly resident meetings.
Multicultural Social Clubs
Our Croatian, Serbian & Macedonian community has grown over time, and as a result, we hold social gatherings, with a combined cultural social club for residents.
The Leisure & Lifestyle team, along with resident's families, provide the food and entertainment.
Together with a Ukrainian 'zabava' [party] the dancing, music and cultural food, provide many residents with joy and new experiences.
Residents and families of all cultures enjoyed taking part in their own, and each other’s, clubs.
Model Railway & Happy Hour
Some of our male, and a few female, residents have worked every week with our male German volunteers to create a spectacular model railway.
Starting from scratch, they built a scaled landscape with wood, chicken wire and plaster.
Residents who preferred to watch, spent their time enjoying the simultaneous Happy Hour, which gprovides many of our male residents another opportunity to simply get together and talk.
Our new and popular choir was formed under the leadership of a resident who had spent her life as a choir conductor at the Ukrainian Catholic Church.
The choir has been highly successful, with residents performing in various special occasions at our aged care facility.
Animals at Kalyna
Animals have always been welcome at our aged care and retirement village in Delahey, with families and staff often bringing their fur babies to visit.
We also organise special animal activities, which are facilitated by professional companies, to add another dimension to the Leisure & Lifestyle Program.
Sundowners Program for Maja Hrudka
- Listen To Music
- Rake Leaves
- Take Photos Of The Person And You And Create A Collage
- Beauty Regime
- Look At Family Photographs
- Wipe Off The Kitchen Table
- Fold Laundry
- Pet Therapy
- Reminiscing - Pets, School Days, Family, Friends, Job, Marriage, Holidays, Inventions
- Sweep The Patio
- Fold Towels
- Look Through The Pages Of A Clothes Catalogue
- Water House Plants
- Make Homemade Ice Cream
- Give A Manicure
- Rub In Hand Lotion
- Arrange Fresh Flowers
- Make Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Blow Bubbles
- Finger Paint
- Put Bird Seed Out For The Birds
- Roll Yarn Into A Ball
- Give Him Or Her A Hug
- Ask The Person To Show You How To Knit Or Sew (Or Another Favourite Hobby)
- Play A Musical Instrument
- Wash Windows Together
- Soft Stuffed Animals
- Tactile Aprons
- Tactile Tablecloth
- Holding Hands
- Fabric Books
- Picture Books
- Sorting Socks
- Mould Dough
- Smell Fresh Herbs
- Wheel Chair Travel
- Reminiscing In The Garden